What Is a Dual Diagnosis Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)?
A dual diagnosis PHP is an intensive treatment program developed primarily to treat individuals with mental health and substance use disorders.
Goal of Dual Diagnosis Partial Hospitalization Programs
The concept of a dual diagnosis partial hospitalization programs may be unfamiliar to most people. These programs are designed to address multifaceted challenges which are faced by mental health and substance use disorders.
Partial hospitalization programs are available for patients willing to avoid a full hospital stay, and having a PHP serves as a transition period from inpatient to outpatient care.
What to Expect From This Article
Here, we will discuss the key components, benefits, and what to expect from a dual diagnosis PHP. We will also learn how it can make a significant difference in the lives of those affected by a dual diagnosis and how Rise Above Treatment will help them recover.
Essential Components and Services of a Dual Diagnosis PHP
Every type of therapy has its key components. Here are some key features of a dual diagnosis PHP:
A dual diagnosis PHP takes an integrated approach to treatment by addressing mental health and substance use disorders simultaneously.
This program recognizes that they are interconnected and require simultaneous treatment to achieve successful outcomes.
Individuals entering a dual diagnosis PHP undergo a thorough assessment. This helps to evaluate the nature and severity of their mental health and substance use disorders while tailoring treatment to the patient’s specific needs.
These plans consider their specific mental health and substance use disorders. It also covers any other relevant factors to ensure personalized and effective care.2
A dual diagnosis PHP typically follows a well-planned schedule where patients attend treatment sessions during the day and return home in the evenings.
A dual diagnosis partial hospitalization program offers a supportive environment. Here, patients can connect with peers with similar conditions.
This helps with creating a sense of belonging while reducing any stigma associated with co-occurring disorders. This structured environment allows individuals to establish a routine, develop healthy habits, and stay focused on their recovery goals.
This supportive atmosphere provides encouragement, understanding, and peer support. It reduces feelings of isolation and enhances overall well-being.
Additional Key Components of a Dual Diagnosis PHP
The list doesn’t stop there, as there are more services available for patients. Additional features of a dual diagnosis partial hospitalization program include the following:
Continuum of Care
A dual diagnosis PHP emphasizes the importance of a continuum of care. Therefore, individuals are typically provided with a stepped-down treatment plan after completing the PHP.
This ensures long-term management of their co-occurring disorders, including referrals to outpatient treatment, support groups, individual therapy, or other appropriate resources.
The program emphasizes the importance of continuing care. In addition, it provides guidance in accessing support beyond partial hospitalization programs.
A dual diagnosis PHP offers intensive therapy. It includes individual counseling, group therapy, and family therapy. These therapy sessions focus on addressing both mental health and substance use disorders, typically to explore underlying issues.
Common Therapies Used in Dual Diagnosis Treatment
Therapies that are commonly utilized include the following:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Trauma-Informed Therapy
A dual diagnosis PHP includes medical professionals. They specialize in dual diagnosis treatment and can provide medication management services. These professionals assess the need for medication and prescribe it appropriately.
A dual diagnosis PHP often has psychiatrists or psychiatric nurse practitioners. They specialize in treating co-occurring disorders while also conducting psychiatric evaluations.
Psychoeducation and Skill-Building
Partial hospitalization programs provide psychoeducation on mental health and addiction. This helps individuals understand their conditions while also helping them develop the necessary skills for recovery. Psychoeducation covers topics such as the effects of substances on mental health.
How a Dual Diagnosis PHP Differs From Other Levels of Care
There are considerable differences between partial hospitalization programs and other forms of care.
A dual diagnosis PHP stands out amongst other programs in the following ways:3
- Inpatient/Residential Treatment: Inpatient or residential treatment involves round-the-clock care, as there is supervision in a structured residential setting. It is typically more intensive and appropriate for individuals requiring a higher support level. In contrast, a PHP provides intensive treatment during the day, allowing individuals to return home in the evenings.4
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): An IOP offers less intensive treatment than a PHP. It is suited for individuals who require a step-down level of care after completing a PHP. Intensive outpatient programs often have flexible scheduling options to accommodate work or other obligations.
- Outpatient Treatment: Outpatient treatment provides less intensive care than a PHP. It allows individuals to live at home while attending therapy appointments. Outpatient treatment is suitable for individuals who have progressed in their recovery.
What Are the Benefits and Advantages of Participating in a Dual Diagnosis PHP?
Participating in a dual diagnosis PHP offers several benefits compared to other treatment options.
These benefits include the following:
- A coordinated approach to the recovery process. It addresses both mental health disorders and substance use disorders simultaneously.5
- Properly structured and comprehensive care. Partial hospitalization programs provide patients with a balance between intensive treatment. Allowing them to live outside the treatment facility.
- Higher chances of regaining a sense of health and wellness. This is through targeting the root causes of both disorders.
How Are Mental Health Professionals and Addiction Specialists Integrated Within a Dual Diagnosis PHP?
In a dual diagnosis PHP, mental health professionals and addiction specialists work together. They do so to provide comprehensive and coordinated care to patients.
Here’s how they are integrated within a dual diagnosis PHP:
Collaborative Treatment Planning
Mental health professionals and addiction specialists collaborate closely. The goal is to develop individualized treatment plans for each participant. They assess the individual’s mental health symptoms.
They also take note of any other relevant factors. This collaborative approach ensures that all aspects of the individual’s condition are considered and that treatment goals are aligned.6
Mental health professionals and addiction specialists jointly conduct therapy sessions. They target both mental health symptoms and substance use issues.
Mental health professionals are responsible for medication management within the dual diagnosis PHP. They evaluate the need for psychiatric medications.
Addiction specialists, on the other hand, may provide guidance and support in managing cravings and withdrawal symptoms. This collaborative approach ensures that mental health and addiction are effectively addressed.
Mental health professionals and addiction specialists coordinate their efforts to provide coordinated care. They communicate regularly and share information.
They also update treatment plans based on the individual’s progress. This coordination ensures that the individual receives consistent and cohesive care.
Multidisciplinary Team Meetings
Multidisciplinary team meetings are held within a dual diagnosis PHP. Here, professionals discuss and review individual cases. These meetings foster collaboration, knowledge-sharing, and coordinated decision-making.
What Evidence-Based Therapies and Treatment Modalities are Commonly Utilized in a Dual Diagnosis PHP
There are various types of therapy used in a dual diagnosis PHP. Some of the evidence-based therapies offered in a dual diagnosis PHP include the following:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
CBT is widely used in dual diagnosis treatment. It focuses on identifying and challenging negative thoughts and beliefs. CBT helps individuals develop coping skills, problem-solving techniques, and strategies to manage cravings.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
DBT is effective for individuals with dual diagnosis. They work for those who experience emotional dysregulation, self-destructive behaviors, and difficulties in interpersonal relationships.
DBT combines elements of CBT with:
- Mindfulness techniques
- Emotion regulation
- Distress tolerance
Motivational Interviewing (MI)
MI is a person-centered therapy that aims to enhance motivation. It resolves ambivalence towards change. It is effective in engaging individuals with dual diagnosis.
It works for those with mixed feelings about seeking treatment. MI helps individuals explore and strengthen their intrinsic motivation for recovery.
Many individuals with dual diagnoses have experienced traumatic events. These events contribute to both their mental health symptoms and substance use. Trauma-Informed therapy addresses the impact of trauma on their overall well-being, including
Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) and trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TF-CBT).
A dual diagnosis PHP often incorporates family therapy. These address the impact of co-occurring disorders on the family system. Family therapy helps improve communication, rebuild trust, and strengthen family support.
Aftercare Services Offered as Part of a Dual Diagnosis PHP
Aftercare services are crucial for sustained progress and long-term success. Here are some standard components:
- Individualized Aftercare Planning: A dual diagnosis PHP prioritizes individualized aftercare planning. They help meet each person’s unique needs. The treatment team collaborates with the individual to develop a comprehensive aftercare plan.7
- Referrals and Connections to Continuing Care: They assist patients with referrals, helping to connect them with appropriate resources for ongoing care.
- Case Management and Care Coordination: Partial hospitalization programs are vital in supporting care transitioning. They provide guidance, assistance, and advocacy to help individuals. Case managers may help with scheduling appointments, coordinating transportation, and addressing any barriers or challenges that may arise during the transition process.
- Follow-up and Monitoring: Individuals often receive follow-up support after treatment. They help them monitor their progress. They also provide additional guidance, including regular check-ins, phone consultations, and outpatient visits to assess their well-being.
They address any emerging concerns. They also reinforce relapse prevention strategies. Finally, monitoring their progress helps them stay on track with their recovery goals.
What Dual Diagnosis PHP Does Rise Above Treatment Offer?
Rise Above Treatment offers a comprehensive dual diagnosis PHP. Our program is for individuals living with addiction and mental health disorders.
Rise Above Can Help You Heal
At Rise Above Treatment, we offer dual diagnosis partial hospitalization treatment services for:
- Multiple-substance addiction treatment
- Alcohol detox & addiction treatment
- Fentanyl detox & addiction treatment
- Benzodiazepine detox & addiction treatment
- Amphetamine detox & addiction treatment
- Cocaine detox & addiction treatment
We understand that dual diagnosis emerges from two co-occurring conditions that not only exist separately, but feed into one another. We will address the root of each condition and help alleviate the symptoms while providing resources and guidance for holistic healing.
Why Choose Rise Above Treatment for Your Recovery
Our progressive Murrieta, California rehab enables individuals to receive the best, most up-to-date care in a warm, inviting, and supportive environment that fosters healing and growth.
Our dedicated team of professionals will work with you or your loved one to tailor treatment to your specific needs and circumstances. The goal is to address the unique challenges those with co-occurring conditions face.
Contact Us Today
Our. Rise Above Treatment family strives to contribute substantially to the community by providing comprehensive services and employing evidence-based practices. For more information on a dual diagnosis PHP, give us a call today.
Table of Contents
Are you ready to Rise Above your mental health and addiction challenges?
Reach out to us today. Let us provide the support and guidance needed for sustainable recovery and wellness, allowing you to lead the happy, healthy, and fulfilling life you deserve.